Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

The Application Process

What is the difference between College Edge and Immersion?

Summer Immersion courses are created by Columbia's School for Professional Studies specifically for high school students. All participants are in high school or recently graduated. These courses do not earn college credit. Upon successful completion of Immersion program(s), students receive a Certification of Participation and a personalized evaluation letter from their instructor(s).

College Edge classes are Columbia undergraduate courses found in the Columbia course catalog. Students will be in class with college students, not high school students. These courses earn Columbia University undergraduate credits, and students can request a Columbia transcript with their final grade(s).

Will my credits transfer to my undergraduate institution?

The transferability of credits is determined by the institution receiving the credits, not the institution where the credits are earned. College Edge students should consult their intended undergraduate institution regarding the transfer of college credits.

What is the maximum number of credits I may earn in a term?

Students may not receive more than 12 points of credit during the fall or spring semester. Students may not enroll in more than 6 credit points during a summer session.

What is the cost?

A complete list of program costs can be found on the Program Costs portion of our website.

Do you provide financial aid?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide College Edge students with any financial assistance or scholarships. To learn about outside opportunities for financial assistance, we advise students to speak with their school's guidance counselor for information on how to search for financial aid and scholarship opportunities from outside sources and organizations.

Do children of Columbia University employees receive reduced tuition for College Edge?

Children of Columbia employees do not receive reduced tuition for the College Edge program. To learn about outside opportunities for financial assistance, we advise students to speak with their school's guidance counselor for information on how to search for financial aid and scholarship opportunities from outside sources and organizations.

Will this program help me get into Columbia College?

Columbia University's Pre-College Programs are distinct from Columbia University's undergraduate school, Columbia College. Before applying to one of the pre-college programs, students should understand that their participation will have no greater influence than any other similar extracurricular activity on any ongoing or future application and admissions processes at Columbia College.

Where are classes held?

Please refer to the Columbia University Directory of Courses for the building and room location of your courses.

Can I take classes online?

No. College Edge is an in-person, commuter program. Students must attend all classes on our Morningside campus. Transportation and housing are not provided..

When is the next information session?

For more information about upcoming information sessions, please visit the Events page.

Do you provide housing?

Residential housing is not available. Students must arrange for their own housing. Please note that students under the age of 18 may be required to reside with a parent or guardian.

If I am admitted to the Summer Immersion program, may I switch my application over to the College Edge summer program?

No. After being admitted to the Summer Immersion program, any attempt to switch to the College Edge program will require that you start and submit an entirely new application. You may use many of the materials required by the Summer Immersion program, but you will also have to submit new and/or additional materials for the College Edge application.

What are you looking for in an applicant?

This is a rigorous program. Students are expected to be both academically and socially prepared for college-level courses with Columbia undergraduate students. We review all aspects of your application in rendering a decision.

May I apply if I am a ninth or tenth grade student?

Students currently in grade 10 may apply to participate the summer following grade 10. Fall and spring programs are only open to students in grades 11 or 12.

May I apply to College Edge and Immersion?

No, you may only apply to one or the other.

If I participated last year, must I reapply?

Once you apply and are admitted, your acceptance is applicable for three terms, with subsequent terms contingent upon successful completion of prior terms. Students may not exceed a total of 30 credits during that time. You will only need to update your transcripts.

I am homeschooled; who is eligible to submit recommendation letters on my behalf?

The academic recommendation can come from the student's primary instructor. If the instructor is a parent or legal guardian, their email address must match the email address provided in the parent information section of the application.

Must I submit all my materials when I submit my application?

No, your recommendations, school profile and official transcript(s) can be submitted after you have formally submitted your part of the application.

What is the application deadline?

Please see click on this link for application details.

Do I need to submit standardized test scores?

No. Test scores will not be considered in the application review. The only exception is if a school profile is unavailable. If that is the case, students should provide official PSAT, SAT, or ACT test scores.

What is the difference between an unofficial and an official transcript?

PDF downloads of unofficial transcripts from student portals can be accepted only if they clearly show your full name, your school’s name, the full name of all courses taken, and all grades achieved in those courses. Official transcripts contain all of the same information as required by an unofficial transcript but, in addition, must be sent electronically from their school to the Office of Admissions. Official transcripts must be emailed by a school administrator to or mailed in a sealed envelope from the school to our address listed on the Apply page.